ARCTYPE is owned by Arantxa Cedillo, a well-established and award winning visual artist whose work is committed to the people and places she portrays. She adopts a multidisciplinary approach and works with photography, text and video.
She has been widely publicized with top magazines and newspapers around the world as well as with international organizations and non for profits.
Arantxa’s work has been exhibited internationally in spaces such as the Canon Japan Gallery (Tokyo), Getty Images Gallery (London), International Center of Photography (New York), New Orleans Photo Alliance (New Orleans), Center for Photography at Woodstock (Woodstock), Toronto Image Works Gallery (Toronto), Mogliano Veneto (Treviso) and the Royal University of Fine Arts (Phnom Penh).
Alongside her 14 years practice as a photographer, Arantxa has realized a body of work as a communications manager, art curator, media trainee, book collaborator and public speaker.
Bruno Maltoni, Chief of Mission of IOM TIMOR LESTE
Arantxa has the rare capacity of being flexible and able to deliver on time. She thinks out of the box but always keeping a very professional and productive demeanor. Where we see only pictures, she sees people with stories to be told.
John Vink, photographer of MAGNUM
Arantxa always finds a clever way out of tricky ethical situations, a pertinent way of showing what cannot be shown. Mostly because she pays attention to the people she photographs, because she is committed in telling their story properly, without being biased and with a lot of respect.
Brian Kerrigan, Head of the photography and multimedia department of THE NATIONAL
She takes the time to properly understand, research and connect with individuals and their stories, making sure that their humanity and dignity is reflected in her images. When she commits to an area, a people, and a story she sticks with it for the duration.
Aline Smithson, Founder and Editor-in-Chief of LENSCRATCH
Arantxa is one of those unique documentary photographers who has the ability to reinterpret difficult situations into work that is artistic, poignant and meaningful. Her sensitivity to her subjects and her ability to tell stories in unique ways make her a gifted seer.
- Photo Kathmandhu, Kathmandhu 2016, NEPAL
- Ian Parry Scholarship 25th anniversary - Visa Pour L’Image, Perpignan, FRANCE
- DOCField Fotografia Documental Barcelona - Barcelona 2014, SPAIN
- Kiyosato Museum of Photographic Arts Permanent Collection-Kiyosato, JAPAN
- Reminders Project & Reminders Photography Stronghold - 2014 Tokyo, JAPAN
- The Fence 2016, Brooklyn, New York, USA
- Toronto Image Works Imaging a Global Culture, Toronto 2006, CANADA
- Reminder Photography Stronghold Wall Grant (2014, JAPAN)
- Slideluck London V at Format Photo Festival 13, UK
- The Global Skin, Center for Storytelling (2012, SWITZERLAND)
- Magenta Foundation’s Emerging Photographers Award (2008, 2011, 2012 CANADA)
- Runner-up of the Fast Forward Thinking Museum Photography Contest (2011, USA)
- Shortlisted of the CEDEFOP / Thessaloniki Museum of Photography (2008, Greece)
- Shortlisted of the Critical Mass Photolucida (2008, USA)
- Alexandra Boulat Scholarship TPW (2008, ITALY)
- Kiyosato’s Young Portfolio Acquisitions (2005, 2006, Japan)
- Ian Parry Award (2005, UK)